Wednesday 15 July 2020

The Problems of Having a Unique Name by Debadrita Roy

The Problems of Having a Unique Name
by
Debadrita Roy


Shakespeare wrote 'What's in a name?' But in the real world it the name which matters the most. I’ve always envied those who have names that people pronounce with ease and confidence; a name that doesn’t cause people to ask for repeats or to say “sorry, I didn’t quite catch that”. Instead, I have what is deemed (by Indian society) a ‘difficult’ name, one that’s brought me great difficulty in simply getting people to pronounce it correctly.
My name is Debadrita Roy. As I am coming from a Bengali family background, so there is a tradition of keeping unique name of the child. So my parents keep my name Debadrita. But the real problems occurs since my pre-school days, as my teacher and friends told me that they were facing difficulties to pronounce my name.Since that time I have been facing same problem till my college days. My non-bengali friends told me that they want to give me a short name 'Debu' as they were facing the problem of calling me by my full name. So, Debadrita becomes Debu
And nowadays when I am in an organisation, my colleagues sometimes can not pronounce my name properly, sometimes they avoid me to assign some task due this problem. So, this seems a great problem to me. 
In the diverse and multicultural society that we live in, we all need to make more of an effort to learn how to say each other’s names. A name is a central part of a person’s identity, and to consistently mispronounce their name simply shows ignorance and carelessness on your part, and a lack of awareness for your own privilege. 
So, if you’re unsure on how to say someone’s name, then politely ask them and really listen, so you don’t have to keep on asking. It is basic human decency, and that person will appreciate it more than you know.

Debadrita Roy (PGDM-HR &Marketing) 
Manager HR
Aircrews Aviation Pvt Ltd
www.AircrewsAviation.com
Debadritaroy.Aircrews@gmail.com
Bio:- 
https://www.portrait-business-woman.com/2020/06/debadrita-roy.html
Vcard:- http://debadritaroy.vcardinfo.com
+91 8016237959
 Follow me on:-
Facebook:- https://www.facebook.com/debadrita.roy.758
LinkedIn:-https://www.linkedin.com/in/debadrita-roy-590839196





No comments:

Post a Comment